Winter is here in Metro Vancouver!
While we have had an unusually warm winter, the forecast is indicating snowfall on the horizon. The federal forecast has issued a special weather statement saying that 2-5 cm of snow could potentially fall on the North Shore, Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, Delta and Richmond.
While snow and ice look beautiful from inside your home, they can cause big trouble for Landlords and Tenants. If you live in an apartment or strata maintained building, the strata will typically handle all the snow removal and de-icing duties. However, if you live in a home or townhome, you are responsible for snow and ice removal unless explicitly stipulated in your contract.
Whether you are a Landlord or Tenant, we recommend preparing for the snow– ahead of time. Prepare your supplies and know your responsibilities. Here are some helpful tips:
- Purchase the right tools.
- We recommend purchasing a snow shovel ahead of time to avoid any shortages in the wintertime.
- Choose the right ice melt
- There are many ice melt options on the market. Consider choosing the right product because these items can end up damaging plants, damaging flooring in your house, damaging your cars, or harm your pets.
- Stock up on enough ice melt product ahead of time
- De-ice the area by applying ice melt product before the snow falls
- Shovel snow away from the foundation
- Remove snow and ice from the sidewalks directly in-front or adjacent to your property line. Be sure to clear a safe path to the front door and mailbox of the home.
- Shovel and apply ice often
Enjoy the beautiful snowfall and be safe!